[Pyxmlsec-devel] Error while encrypting XML (SAML assertion)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Apr 10 19:50:11 CEST 2014

Patrick Craston wrote at 2014-4-10 11:50 +0100:
>It does not work with the "aes128-cbc" encryption, so it might well by an issue with my setup. I'm using openssl version 1.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS. Do you know whether I need to install any additional packages to get this encryption method to work?

As far as I know "aes" is protected by a patent.

Software patents are a great danger for open source software (like OpenSSL) -
and to be on the safe side, they often do not include them.
When I remember right (but I may be wrong), I have read a document
(probably part of the "OpenSSL" distribution - but maybe on the
web site) - which explains which cyptographic modules are not supported
by default. When I remember right, to get "aes", you must obtain
the "OpenSSL" source and explicitely compile it with "aes" support.
And then, you take responsibility for any potential patent issues with
this use.

--
Dieter